Anitha Ashokan - Background
Anitha Ashokan is, a 2004 batch BITSian. Anitha graduated in 2008 with B.E (Hons.) in Electronics and Instrumentation from the Goa Campus. Anitha’s father is a government servant with the Indian Revenue Service and her mother is a home maker. She has a brother who is currently pursuing his masters in the US. She was based in Chennai and was working with Satyam Computers till May 2009, when she fell ill with a rare kind of brain disease and has been unconscious since then.
- May 09: Anitha was initially hospitalized at Ramachandra Hospitals in Chennai, with brain fever. There she was diagnosed with Acute Demyelinating Encephalomyelitis. She was in Ramachandra till the end of May, and was treated with Anti-viral drugs and a course of (5 shots) Intra Venal Immunoglobulin shots. Anitha did not show any improvement and her condition kept deteriorating .Upon the advice of her doctors, she was shifted to National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore which is a specialty clinic in treating brain diseases.
- June – July 09: In NIMHANS, an open brain biopsy was performed and Anitha was diagnosed with Balo's Concentric Sclerosis, a variant of acute Multiple Sclerosis. It is one of the rarest of its kind and has not been studied much in literature like other diseases. Anitha was under various drugs and underwent a plasma therapy treatment in NIMHANS. She was also undergoing physiotherapy to revive senses in her limbs. Anitha did not show any significant improvement, and continued to remain unconscious.
- July-mid – now: Anitha was then shifted to the Christian Medical College, Vellore (CMC) for further treatment. There she underwent another course of IV Immunoglobulin shot and continues to remain on drugs. She is now being treated by a team of Neuro specialists in CMC and the doctors have shown a ray of hope in treating her.
BITSAA’s initiative for Anitha Ashokan
Through a few friends of Anitha, the news about her illness was brought to the notice of BITSAA International. BITSAA decided to help Anitha and took up the 'BITSians for Anitha' initiative. The SWAT team which was formed in this regard, has been in continuous touch with Anitha’s family and has been getting regular updates on Anitha’ health and progress.
Anitha’s Financial Situation
Anitha’s family has spent about 15 lakhs in treating Anitha. They spent about 8 lakhs in Sri Ramachandra Hospitals in Chennai and about 2 lakhs in NIMHANS, Bangalore. So far they have incurred an expense of about 5 lakhs in CMC Vellore and the treatment continues. At this juncture, Anitha’s family needs financial assistance from her alumni network for further treatment.
How can you help Anitha?
Anitha's family has left no stone unturned in providing her with the best treatment possible. In this hour of huge personal crisis, BITSAA is looking at helping Anitha’s family financially and non-financially.
- We are looking at reducing Anitha’s overall medical expenses and in this regard, any contacts in Pharmaceutical industry will be very helpful, to work out discounts on procuring life saving drugs for her treatment.
- Please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any contacts to share.
- BITSAA is targeting to raise an amount of Rs.5 lakhs for Anitha.
- Please click here to make your contribution online.
- Contribution from you will be used for Anitha’s overall treatment which includes medicines and hospitalization charges.
We will keep this page updated on Anitha’s progress and how the contribution from the BITSian fraternity is being put to use. Rest assured that your efforts to help Anitha will go a long way in acting as a big boost to her family and give them the much needed strength to carry on. Thank you very much, and here's hoping that the BITSian community will come together to help Anitha and make a huge difference in her life.
For any further queries, please get in touch with Shwetha Kailash - email@example.com .
How can I donate
In favor of 'BITSAA International'.
Mailing Address :
243 Buena Vista Ave 395 Ano Nuevo Ave
Apt 1801 Apt 209
Sunnyvale CA 94086 94085
In favor of - ‘BITS Pilani Alumni Association India Trust’
Mailing Address :
C/o Alfa Rubber & Springs Pvt Ltd
SP 82 Industrial estate
Chennai – 600058
Please mention ‘Donation for Anitha Ashokan ‘ when you post them. Also please send an email with the check details to Srikanth Krishnamurthy at firstname.lastname@example.org once you have mailed the checks, so that we can send you an acknowledgment
BITSAA International Inc. is a not-for-profit organization registered in New Jersey, USA (Federal EIN# 22-3835037) and all donations to ‘BITSAA International’ are subject to tax exemptions under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS tax code.
Donors within India - Please note that ,currently ‘BITS Pilani Alumni Association India Trust’ does not have an 80G exempt status which means that you won't get tax-benefit right away. However, we will issue you provisional receipts , and if we do get the tax-exemption status before the end of the financial year, we will send you the IT receipts . If we fail to obtain the tax-exemption status by then, we regret to inform you that you will have to forego the tax benefits.
For any queries on donations please contact -
Kaushik Subramanian – email@example.com
Uzma Hussain - firstname.lastname@example.org