Introducing: New Leadersip at BITS
Monday, August 30, 2010
Posted by: BITSAA Newsletter
The last few months have seen quite some changes in the BITS family. We have our new Vice Chancellor designate Prof. Bijendra Nath Jain who succeeds our beloved Prof. Maheswari. A man of many laurels, Prof. Jain has a PhD in Electrical Engineering and has been with IIT Delhi since 1975 where he was a Professor in Computer Science, Deputy Director (Faculty Affairs) and Dean for Alumni Affairs and International Programs. Besides this, he is co-inventor of 7 US patents, has trained over 2500 communication specialists and was the first to propose a nationwide data network for India.
We also see, Prof. Ravi Mittal taking over to continue the good work by Prof. Ramachandran, as the newly appointed Director of BITS, Pilani - Dubai. Prof. Mittal, one can almost say, has spent almost all his life at Pilani having pursued his B.E., M.E. and Ph.D. all from there.
Besides this, our other new appointments include:
Raghurama will be playing a new role as the Director of Pilani Campus,
who earlier held responsibilities as Deputy Director (Academics) and
Deputy Director (Off Campus Programmes). He has been with BITS since
1987 and has been Dean of Admissions and Faculty Division II prior to
- Prof. R. N. Saha, a recipient of the Best Pharmacy Teacher of India Award (2005) and previously Dean of Educational Development and Faculty Division II at Pilani will now take charge as the Deputy Director of Research & Educational Development.
- Prof. G. Sundar, an alumnus of Cornell with interests in the field of Quantum Chemistry, Chemical Thermodynamics and Chemical Instrumentation and currently Dean of Practice School is also now Deputy Director, Off-Campus Programmes.
- Prof. Ashoke K. Sarkar currently the Dean, Instruction Division will now assume additional charge as Dean, Academic Registration and Counselling Division. Prof. Sarkar’s research interests include Transportation Planning, Rural Accessibility and Pavement Maintenance and has more than 70 research articles in journals and conferences.
- Prof. B. V Babu who is Dean, Educational Hardware Division will now don the hat of Dean, Student Welfare. Prof. Babu has taught 10 different courses, has 48 international publications, 21 national publications, 116 publications in international conference proceedings and 2 books to his credit.
- Prof. N.V Muralidhar Rao who teaches Economics, Finance and Management and has represented India as a Country Expert on multi country WIPO-UNU is now Dean, Educational Hardware Division - a role he has taken over after being Dean, Student Welfare.
- Prof. Suman Kapur , the new Dean, Research and Consultancy at our Hyderabad campus brings with her nearly 16 years of teaching experience from US Universities and research at the Ranbaxy Research Lab, New Delhi.
- Prof. Ashis K. Das, will assume charge as Dean, Research & Consultancy at Pilani. Prof. Das has worked in the Department of Molecular Biology and Immunology at John Hopkins University and as a WHO fellow at Malaria Branch Center for Disease Control at Atlanta, Georgia USA.