DISTINGUISHED ALUMNUS AWARDS 2014
Dear BITS Alumnus,
This is a call for nominations for "BITS Pilani Distinguished Alumnus Awards” which has been
instituted by BITS Pilani to recognize and honor those alumni who have brought laurels to
their alma mater by making significant and outstanding contributions to their profession,
their businesses, and/or to the society.
Eligibility: Any BITS alumnus who satisfies the following conditions is eligible for the award:
1. He/she has completed a degree programme from any of the campuses of BITS
2. He/she must be living at the time a nomination is made3. He/she should have made significant and outstanding contribution to one or more of the following fields (or categories):
a. Professional management of businesses,
c. Academic teaching and/or research,
d. Public life or social entrepreneurship, and
BITS alumni who belong to the following categories are not eligible for the award:
1. Current members of the BITS’ administration, faculty and non‐teaching staff
2. Members of the Board of Governors of BITS, members of the General Body of BITS
3. Members of the BITS’ Senate, and members of other statutory bodies of BITS
4. Members of the committee to select or short‐list “BITS Pilani Distinguished Alumnus Awards”, and their immediate family members
5. Alumni who are currently doing substantial business either directly or indirectly with BITS.
Nomination: Any member of the General Body of BITS, any member of the Board of Governors of BITS, any member of BITS’ Senate, any member of the BITS’ administration or faculty, or any member of BITS Alumni Association may nominate an alumnus who meets the eligibility criteria.
1. The nominations (in the enclosed format) must be received by the BITS Alumni Affairs Office no later than20th of May, 2014.
2. A nomination will be considered for a maximum of 3 years from the date of the first nomination.
1. There will be a maximum of five awards, every year, with at most two in any one category.
2. A selection committee, with the following constitution, will be appointed by the Chancellor to select the awardees. The selection committee shall consist of the following:
a. An eminent individual from academia, businesses, public life or an entrepreneur
c. One person of eminence outside the BITS system, possibly an entrepreneur, a professional manager from industry, a public servant, or a social entrepreneur
d. One senior faculty member from BITS
e. One BITS Alumnus, and
f. Vice Chancellor, BITS (or his nominee).
A. He/she should have made significant and outstanding contribution to one or more of the fields (or categories) listed below.
a. Professional management of businesses
c. Academic teaching and/or research
d. Public life or social entrepreneurship, or
Award presentationThere will be a maximum of five (5) awards every year, with at most two in any one category. The Distinguished Alumnus Award will be announced before the middle of May each year. The award will be presented in the form of a Plaque, a certificate and a citation.
B. The contribution should have resulted in a significant impact in terms of
a. dissemination or creation of knowledge
b. enrichment of lives of people
c. distribution or creation of wealth, or
d. promotion or establishment of high ethical standards in private or public life.
C. Further, the contribution should be such that it can be adequately documented in the form of:
a. national or international awards
b. national or international patents
c. publications in journals of international repute
d. creation of jobs
e. market share of products/services
f. growth in company valuation on stock exchanges
g. volume of donations to social causes, etc.
D. He/she should be a person of high integrity and stature, and one whose contributions will not only make his alma mater proud but will inspire BITS’ faculty, staff, students and alumni.
Send your Nomination to the following address so as to
reach on or before 20th of
Alumni Affairs Division, BITS Pilani - K. K. Birla Goa Campus,
NH17B Bypass Road,
Zuarinagar, GOA– 403
+0832-2580192 Fax: +0832-2557030
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com